Monday, January 18, 2010

The Recession is over

The recession is over! As measured by the bids for the Charity batch on this year’s auction, the downturn in the economy is over - it is obviously time to buy, buy, buy!

Last year the lowest bid that successfully got into the charity batch was around R1,500 so I thought my bid was pretty safe at R3,300 and I planned to log on and make sure sometime before the bidding closed at 16h00 on Saturday. Due to having some of our hard core friends around for a long, boozy lunch on Saturday all thoughts of checking on bids were long forgotten, until I got an urgent call from Charlie who was on his game. "Terry, do you know that you are the second lowest bid and the lowest is only R50 behind you?" Sobering fast, I gave Charles my login details and asked him to up my bid. A nervous minute or so went by as I we waited to see if my new bid had been accepted, but it hadn't! "Bidding closed" was the message and a small sweat broke as I waited to see if I'd hung in at the bottom of the bidding. I could just imagine the phone call to Dusi partner Greg to tell him we were starting in the later batches! Eventually the bid page refreshed and there we were - Boat 6909 still in 59th spot!

So, crises averted. We are in the 7h00 Charity batch, the weather is looking good (cool and rainy for Thurs) and the RECESSION IS OVER!

I had my last serious training run before the big day this morning and the body seems to be holding up. I am been forced to still get up at 4h30 and meet the boys for my Wednesday run as Wilko has promised some funding for The Sunflower Fund, got to do what you have to do for charity! Still holding thumbs that my partner is mending - on Thursday he wasn't up for the last CMH Dice as his wrist has joined both knees in objecting strongly to physical exercise. I think a few pain killers and the tales of the legendary Hansa Babes at the finish should get him through though, in fact here we go Greg...


No comments:

Post a Comment